Sellwood Studio Policies
*Our teachers are highly qualified, experienced, and exceptional professional performers.*
We are delighted to be able to offer outstanding coaching opportunities for our students. Our staff has a wide range of professional experience in all aspects of performing arts. To learn more about our teachers please visit our website.
General Studio Rules
• Students are expected to behave respectfully and courteously at all times toward staff and each other.
• Please do not bring expensive electronics or other valuables to the studios.
• Cell phones may not be used during lessons or classes (unless permitted by teachers in regard to music).
• Please do not bring food to the studio, unless the teacher has directed. Water is encouraged.
• No gum chewing in class.
• Please help keep our studios clean and tidy.
Payment & Refund Policies
• Monthly tuition payments are due at the beginning of each month. An invoice will be received at the email on file with the studio.
• Payments are encouraged (free of fee) via Zelle. Payment may be made via Venmo to @Sellwood-Studio (business account - VIE GROUP LLC) or with a credit or debit card via Paypal to email@example.com. You may also pay by check. Checks should be made payable to Sellwood Studios and mailed to Sellwood Studios, 19 Green Avenue, Madison, NJ 07940, or placed in the “lobby mailbox”. Please label an envelope to Sellwood Studios before placing it in the cubby hole.
• A 3% convenience fee is applied when paying by Paypal or Venmo.
• Monthly tuition fees are non-refundable unless two (2) weeks’ notice is given on withdrawal from the studio. Studio credit will be applied to properly canceled lessons with 24 hours notice.
• In order to adjust invoicing, advanced cancelations must be made before the start of the new month. Otherwise, a credit will be applied toward future billing.
• In special circumstances (such as severe injury or moving), refunds will be considered.
Fee Schedule and Late Fees
• Invoices will be emailed to all families with an account balance one (1) week before the first (1st) of each month.
• Payments are due by the first (1st) of the month, in advance of your lessons.
• A reminder will be sent one (1) week after the due date.
• A $15 late fee will be added to the account ten (10) days after the due date.
• You can log into the parent portal to add automatic payment information if you would like.
• Please notify us if your family is experiencing any financial hardships. We are always happy to create an alternative payment plan or adjust the lesson fees to ensure that enthusiastic students can continue lessons and classes.
Recitals & Performances
• Recitals will be scheduled throughout the year for both private lesson students and group classes. We will also participate in public performances at varying times each year (such as Bottle Hill Day and Holiday caroling),
• Currently, there is no additional fee for participating in recitals or performances.
Private Lesson Cancellation (Student Absence)
• No refunds or credits are given for missed group classes.
• You may notify your teacher of class and lesson absences, but please make sure to notify the office via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
• In the event a student cannot attend a lesson, please email a minimum of 24 hours in advance before the scheduled lesson. Lesson credit will be applied to your account.
• The missed lesson will be considered billable if a minimum of 24-hour notice is not given to the office. Informing the teacher only does not count as notice.
Private Lesson Cancellation (Teacher Absence)
• In the event of an advance-planned teacher absence, we will schedule a substitute (preferably on staff, but also as approved by Tom Sellwood). We guarantee our staff, as well as approved substitutes, are qualified professionals.
• For an unexpected absence where a substitute cannot be arranged, your teacher will work with you to reschedule an alternate lesson if possible.
• Lessons canceled by a teacher due to their absence will not be billable.
Snow Days & Holidays
• Sellwood Studios will usually be closed on days that schools are closed due to inclement weather. All students will be notified via email in the event we are closed. Feel free to email/text/call on the morning/afternoon of your class/lesson to see if classes will be running as usual if you are unsure.
• Private lessons will not be billed in the event of school closing. Speak with your teacher if you would like to attempt to reschedule. Group classes missed will not receive a refund or makeup due to scheduling.
• Sellwood Studios will be closed: on Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.
• Closing for other holidays (New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Christmas Eve, New Year’s Eve, etc.) will be at the discretion of the teacher. Please check with your teacher before missing lessons.
• Please do not send your child to the studio if they are sick. Much like school policies, your child must be fever and symptom-free for 24 hours before returning. If your child did not attend school due to illness, please do not send them to the studio.
• If your child is at the studio and we determine that they have a fever or are not feeling well we will call you to come and pick them up.
• Please be mindful of current COVID mandates and guidelines.
Photography & Video
From time to time we will take pictures of students in the studio and at events we hold. Some media will be used for marketing purposes. Parents agree that the photos are released to us for use and are not entitled to any payment for the photos. We may publish them on our website, social media accounts, printed marketing material, etc.